Tuesday, March 8, 2011

XOXO RIOT GRRRL, Part 1: 1990

Today marks the first in a series of features on the music of the 1990's. Our beloved pal XOXO RIOT GRRRL is writing a series of editorials on the best tracks from the iconic TV show 120 minutes. Enjoy!


I was pretty much the nerdiest child ever growing up, with one exception. Come Sunday night, as my parents fell asleep, I would lay in bed in anticipation of 2 hours of glorious music videos formally known as 120 minutes, MTV’s finest show (though trust me-Alternative Nation with my girlcrush at the time, VJ Kennedy was a close second). At midnight, I would sneak into our guestroom and watch with rapt attention, taking notes so I could impress my friends with the depth of my music knowledge.

Perhaps it’s the recent frenzy of reunion tours or that catchy theme to Portlandia, but lately I have been in a tailspin into an even deeper nostalgia for the good old days. My lack of perspective is your gain, my friend, as I will be bringing you a weekly 90’s Playlist-highlighting everything from the top of the Modern Rock charts to the height of cool kid indie and all the grunge that fell in between.

Squirt TV may be long gone, and Evan Dando may be clean and sober but in my world these buried 90’s gems are all still buzz clips.

XOXO Riot Grrrl

1991 (A review of the top videos of 1990)
20) Happy Mondays “Step On”
19) Iggy Pop “Candy”
18) The House of Love “I Don’t Know Why I Love You”
17) The Stone Roses “Fool’s Gold”
16) The Pixies “Dig for Fire/Alison”
15) Cocteau Twins “Iceblink Luck”
14) The Jesus & Mary Chain “Head On”
13) Nine Inch Nails “Head Like A Hole”
12) World Party “Way Down Now”
11) The Soup Dragons “I’m Free”
10) Concrete Blonde “Joey”
9) The Cure “Never Enough”
8) Midnight Oil “Sky Blue Sky”
7) The Charlatans UK “The Only One I Know”
6) The Sundays “Here’s Where The Story Ends”
5) Sonic Youth “Kool Thing”
4) Sinead O’Connor “Nothing Compares 2U”
3) Peter Murphy “Cuts You Up”
2) Jane’s Addiction “Been Caught Stealing”
1) Depeche Mode “Enjoy The Silence”

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there my name is Evan lemonhead and I gotta say that I like your idea about doing a 120 minute revamping of 120 minutes - please play lots of teenage fanclub and mudhoney dinosaur , screaming trees , the posies , the vaselines , ok lemme get back to you im a little snoned at the minute