Monday, May 25, 2009

RIP Jay Bennett

This is a bummer on so many levels, that it's hard to really quantify in any meaningful way. Jay Bennett, a huge part of Wilco for many years, passed away yesterday at his studio in Chicago. You can read the full obituary here, and read Wilco biographer Greg Kot's take here.

Bennett's contributions to Wilco were immense, and his personal level of musicality is just undeniable. Given that Bennett has become more prolific over the last few years, and seemed to be stabilizing personally, this is especially tragic. Our thoughts go out to his friends and family.

While you're having a moment of silence, maybe have it a little less silent and give a listen to this tune - we're sure Jay would have approved.

mp3: Jay Bennett - Like A Photograph

2 comments:

Lee K. said...

Thank you for sharing this. This version of "Like a Photograph" is so painful to hear today. "I was wishing that I was more than a breeze through an open door" is just brutal to hear. I don't think I've ever been so sad at a musician's death. Jay was a great songwriter, was so down-to-earth and affable the times I saw him perform around Chicago. I thought of him often, and always hoped he'd conquer the personal demons that haunted him since he departed Wilco. This should not have ended like this. Why does the world crush its best people?

Anonymous said...

That's my favorite line from one of my all-time favorite songs by anyone ever. Thanks for the post and the first comment!