Friday, August 31, 2007

This Month In EMusic

This is the beginning of a monthly feature, wherein I discuss my eMusic downloads for the month, and maybe bring readers' attention to something they haven't heard, or heard of. I can't sing the praises of eMusic highly enough (Full disclosure: I'm not a partner, and I get no benefit from this): reasonable price, no DRM, and vast selection. I joined about 2 years ago, and have consistently found material to download every month. If you're a fan of music on indie labels, and you're looking to stay legal in the face of RIAA prosecution, it's worth checking out. Plus, you can't beat the price. Now, on to the selections for September:

Josh Rouse - Country Mouse, City House: I had heard about this one for a while, with opinions ranging from brilliant to schlocky cheese, so I had to find out for myself before his show with Jason Collett at The Independent on the 27th of September.

Okkervil River - The Stage Names
: I read the review on Pitchfork, promptly
downloaded from the blogosphere, and subsequently felt guilty that I hadn't paid for such an awesome record. Fantastic stuff. They're at The Independent this Wednesday.

Studio - West Coast: eMusic recommended it to me based on my previous selections, so I decided to give it a whirl. The CD costs $23 at Amoeba. Score one for eMusic.

Miles Davis - Blue Moods, Miles Davis - Quintet/Sextet feat. Milt Jackson: eMusic has a vast jazz catalog, and I always try to dig up something interesting each month. These two caught my eye.

The Pixies - Complete B-Sides
: I have the rest of the back catalog, and had been intending to pick this up for quite a while. Fun to have some Pixies I may not have heard yet - that rumored new record isn't here yet!

Broken Social Scene - Live At Radio Aligre Paris, Live At Lollapalooza 2006
: I love BSS, and the fact that they've all been working on solo projects has meant a dearth of new material. Solution? Live shows!

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Green River: I was inspired to buy this after I heard M. Ward's recent remake of the title track. Reworked or not, it's a classic.

Tim Reynolds - Common Margins: Any coincidence that any semblance of creative integrity that the Dave Matthews Band had flew out the window after this amazing guitarist stopped helping them out in the studio? Probably not. He's an ultra talented musician.

The Sea and Cake - The Fawn
: I really got into them with this year's release Everybody, so now I've been going back and trolling the archives. Great band.

0 comments: