Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Scissors For Lefty @ The Warfield 9/13

In the past six months, I've become a card-carrying Scissors For Lefty fan. The local band has been getting hyped for the last couple of years since their inaugural release Bruno, and their live show has always been mentioned as part of the appeal. I finally managed to catch them at Slim's via Noise Pop this past March opening for the French Kicks, and I was glad I did. The band has a great up front guitar-rock sound that is immediately familiar, yet also has a unique swagger and danceability. Lead singer Bryan Garza oozes charisma, and did a great job pulling in the crowd to the band's set - at one point even stepping down into the crowd. More to the band's credit was the fact that many of the songs were from an album not yet released in the US at the time, and they still had the crowd loving every minute of it.

Since March, the band has had a lot going on: their second disc Underhanded Romance finally saw its release in the US, the band has been playing shows non-stop, and they were even picked for the main stage at Live 105's BFD. I missed the CD release at the Independent, so lucky for me that they're opening for The Bravery at the Warfield on September 13th. I'm very curious to see what all this success has done for them - I'm hoping only good things.

mp3: Scissors For Lefty - Ghetto Ways
mp3: Scissors For Lefty - Lay Down Your Weapons

0 comments: